Skip to main content

The Broads' Cheers & Jeers




Here we are again! This week, we (Mina & Moira) have scrounged up two more covers to inspect. We'll dive right in with what our Google search produced. Do you have a favorite cover you'd love for the Broads to showcase? Have you come across a wretched cover that makes you wonder how it ever got selected to grace a book? We want to know!






The Broads Are Dishing Up A New Batch Of Cover Cheers & Jeers ...







What do you say? Love it? Or Hate it?




Give us a shout out with your cover love!


First, let's take a look at this interesting specimen that we pulled from the internet.....




















Mina ~
This just in! Half naked mer-fellow with festering head wound rescues maiden from slight snow storm and takes her to his enchanted garden inhabited by creepy faery children. What...it could happen.

The title of this book is flirting dangerously with being an oxymoron. But I love the hair ornament, though. No, really. The sea shell- snake rattle- fleur de lis combo really works for you. (How is that sticking there anyway?) But seriously, you look totally manly. Look, I'm swooning. Can you use a sword effectively under water? Maybe you should cut that thing off your head before it sucks out all your brains. Not just the part that controls your choice in women. It's just an idea.

You're lady love seems to need some help deciding on which season she should dress for. A sleeveless feather cape, that's what you want to go with huh? I suppose it must be a bit chilly on her half of the cover. That explains the garden only existing on his side. I do like the Eye of Sauron necklace, however. Nice touch.



Moira ~ Heh, heh...Does he have a starfish on his head? Is that an octopus? It's not a good look for him, whatever it is. Seriously, even with my glasses, I'd swear this guy has a sea creature hanging out on the side of his head!?


"Jumpin' Jolly Roger! I seem to have a crustacean on me head! Well, Davy Jones' Locker, Woman! Don't just stand there staring at me! I can't possibly get married with a squid on me brow! Let me get me land legs back first, ya lusty wench!"


"But Beaureguard, I'm wearin' my fur-trimmed hood! It simply has to be a special occasion for me to be wearin' my fur trimmed hood!"


There's a lot going on here... I'm pretty sure I see butterflies, too. And does anyone else find it odd that she seems to be dressed for weather that may or may not include snow, yet he seems to be attired for ...insert place here _____ that does not require clothing.




Now let's look at something much nicer...






Mina ~
Now this is much better! The cream colors used give this a warm, intimate feeling. The author's name is a bit bold and red. I suppose we can overlook that for now. The open position our heroine has put herself in, is quite tantalizing. She knows she is about to ravished and is eagerly awaiting ruination! And our hero, with his shirt half open, and his boots still on he paints a dashing figure. This broad would love to say "Sir, you have the advantage of me!" and let him have it!



Moira ~ Now this is a much more romantic cover! Our heroine is in a very vulnerable position - I love the arc of her neckline - while our hero is in a dominant one. (Ummmm, yeah, that's nice ladies, isn't it?) I like the sweetness of this cover, too. The abundance of white gives an innocence to the couple, even though this hero looks 'less-than-innocent' - if you know what I mean. This cover is nicely done. Nothing too dramatic, but it clearly portrays romance. I do think that the author's name kind of imposes on the rest of the cover, though. It's a bit 'over-stated'. Other than that, this cover gets a Cheers! from this Broad.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

Uhh....Seriously, we're waiting!!

      I know, I know.  You've probably been wondering where we have been.  Well, truth be told, your guess is as good as mine!   Wandering around the corridors of reality and looking--in earnest--for the emergency exit.  Real life has a way of derailing our engines and putting them on a completely different track.               During the spring, my kids happened.  From sports to plays, the driving is endless.  During the summer, my kids--again--happened.  Though, in Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen.  (Sorry about that, I had a moment.)  In the fall....do we see the pattern here?  Good.  So, between the kids' activities and school, hubby's work, my work, still remodeling the house, and my newest occupation as college student, I have very little room on my plate for cookies.  But damn-it, I like cookies.  I would love to roll naked in cookies!  Only metaphorically, I have no wish to explain those crumbs at the next gynie visit.  That, ladie

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh