Skip to main content

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Picture


Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits.

We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA!

One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cringed in finding 'forgotten' half peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, tomato in the produce drawer??)  Ouch!  My *budget-conscience-mindset* engages in some pretty rough self-talk when I see I've been wasteful.

Here is a meal plan and shopping list that you can use in a pinch - especially for those busy weeks when you simply haven't had the time to plan a shopping list or meal plan - but your family keeps *getting hungry* anyway :).

*I shopped for these ingredients at a local Aldi market and prices/budget spending amounts are based on my receipt. I've listed only the necessary shopping list items.  Add on what suits your budget and likes.  At the end, see 'Bonus Smart-Broad-Budget Tips and Embellishments'.

Meals - (I will be posting recipes in individual posts)

1.  Tacos.  Rice.  Roasted veggies.
2.  Spaghetti with meat sauce.  Salad.  Garlic bread.
3.  Chicken noodle soup.  Salad.  Bread.
4.  Chicken.  Stuffing.  Roasted Potato Medley.  Cucumber Salad.
5.  Johnny Marzetti.  Colorful Salad Suprise.
6.  Brown Sugar Tenderloin with Apples, Potato, and Sweet Potato.
7.  Leftovers.

Shopping List

Total Cost:  $59.61

taco seasoning packet
taco shells
5lb rice
5lb potato
bag sweet potato
1 seedless cucumber
1 red, yellow or orange pepper
1 loaf wheat bread
1lb spaghetti
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 celery
1 small package 8 oz grape tomato
1 lg sweet onion
1 lb elbow macaroni
1 package velveeta slices
1 bag brown sugar
1 orange juice
2 apples
1 can tomato soup small
1 bottle salad dressing
1 bunch green leaf lettuce
1 small tub sour cream

Additional pantry items:  salt, pepper, granulated garlic, olive oil, butter, poultry seasoning, sugar.

*BONUS-Smart-Broads-Ideas*

1.  Add sliced apples with cinnamon and whipped cream to meal #6
2.  Add cantaloupe to meal #1 - Ball melon, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp water to soften and sweeten.
3.  Grill PB&J sandwiches to 'sweeten-up' #3
4.  Make Jello for dessert and top with whipped cream!

What's your favorite fresh ingredient to work into your weekly meal plan and what different ways do you use it?  

Moira



Would be nice to done in embroidery or calligraphy and framed (sans title). Maybe with the German table grace.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uhh....Seriously, we're waiting!!

      I know, I know.  You've probably been wondering where we have been.  Well, truth be told, your guess is as good as mine!   Wandering around the corridors of reality and looking--in earnest--for the emergency exit.  Real life has a way of derailing our engines and putting them on a completely different track.               During the spring, my kids happened.  From sports to plays, the driving is endless.  During the summer, my kids--again--happened.  Though, in Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen.  (Sorry about that, I had a moment.)  In the fall....do we see the pattern here?  Good.  So, between the kids' activities and school, hubby's work, my work, still remodeling the house, and my newest occupation as college student, I have very little room on my plate for cookies.  But damn-it, I like cookies.  I would love to roll naked in cookies!  Only metaphorically, I have no wish to explain those crumbs at the next gynie visit.  That, ladie

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh