Skip to main content

Interview with author Katrina LaCroix

We are happy to welcome Katrina LaCroix, author of Loose Lips Sink Ships, to the Brazen Broads Book Bash today.  To read our review of Katrina's darkly humorous book, click here.  

BB:
  Where did the inspiration for Avery Leigh come from?

KL:  I've come to the conclusion that there are far too many sane characters in fiction, and that's a shame because crazy people are the most fun to read about! I just wanted someone who had no inhibitions, no morals, no restraints to keep her from getting what she wants. That's how Avery was born. Looking at her on the page, the most shocking part about her might be how confident she is despite being completely out of her mind.

BB:
  What is your favorite scene from Loose Lips Sink Ships?

KL:  This is a hard question. I can't tell you how many times I laughed thinking some of this stuff up. I do love the sex scene, but I also love the scene when Avery finds out her younger sister is pregnant. Part of me wonders if Lori's master plan would actually work, the same part of me that I have to keep locked in the attic.

BB:  Do you feel more comfortable writing a female or male voice?

KL:  I do have an easier time writing females, though Avery is about as boyish as they come. For the most part though, I let the character's personality and motivation dictate their words and actions, without getting too deep into questions of "is this how a man talks?"

BB:  Do you plan stories out with outlines or just follow where they take you?

KL:  Although most of the time I do a lot of outlining, I didn't do so much with this one. As you pointed out in your review, this story is largely character driven, and so my goal was to have Avery and Carter bumping heads as much as possible. Most of the aspects of the story that don't directly have to do with their relationship came to me while I was writing it. I always say that it takes one brilliant idea to start a great novel and several more to finish it.

BB:  What are you writing now?

KL:  Now that Loose Lips Sinks Ships is out, I'm currently developing my next idea. Right now I've got this idea bubbling up for a more adult version of The Hunger Games, about a future reality TV show called "The 18 Year-Old Virgin" in which a group of hotties is thrown together in a house until there's only one virgin left standing. Is that a good idea? I honestly don't know. It would probably be filthy, and I'll have to wait for Loose Lips Sinks Ships to let me know if people want to read that sort of stuff.

BB:  Where do you like to write?

KL:  For me, it's not so much where I like to write, but the conditions under which I like to write. Perfect silence. No one around. Not drinking or eating anything. A solid couple of hours to myself. That allows me to get in my head and dig around until I find out what's in there. Most of the time I'm just writing at my desk, though I wish I had somewhere more exciting to write. My dream place to write would be at a frat party, though I doubt I'd do a word of writing. Maybe they wouldn't object if I just showed up with my laptop.

BB:  What's your background? 

KL:  I live by myself in New York City, but I'm actually from Western Pennsylvania. It can get pretty rural out there, and so the cool kids would always rent cabins in the middle of nowhere and do unprintable things. I'm lucky I made it to college, where I majored in Sociology. Basically, I got a degree in talking about my feelings.

BB:  Who are some of your favorite authors and why?

KL:  I love to read, and my favorite authors are too numerous to count. Most of them are completely over the edge in some way, William S. Burroughs, Stephen King, Sylvia Plath. Literature is about using these innocent little words to push the edge of what's acceptable.


Thanks so much to Alexandria and Moira at Brazen Broads Book Bash for having me! Loose Lips Sink Ships is available at Amazon.com and BN.com. I hope you like it!

We want to thank Katrina for joining us here, and we encourage everyone who likes a story with a real brazen broad to read her book.  You can contact her at
katrinalacroix@yahoo.com

Comments

  1. "A more adult version of The Hunger Games, about a future reality TV show called "The 18 Year-Old Virgin" - Ha! Great idea for your next book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Broads love comments! Thanks for stopping by.....

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

Euphemania-Ralph Keyes: Review and Giveaway

A Book About Why We Speak As We Do We tend to read a lot of fiction here at the Brazen Broads Book Bash, so it's always nice to get our hands on some good nonfiction books almost as a way to cleanse our palettes sometimes.  Ralph Keyes book, Euphemania ,  is the perfect mix of informative yet interesting.  In it, he shares the reasons why we use euphemisms so often in our daily speech.  The main idea behind the book is that euphemisms are used to make the uncomfortable more comfortable.  Therefore, they're very common in discussions about sex.  One anecdote offered in the book refers to Jesse Jackson's threat during the 2008 election in which he stated he wanted to "cut off Barack Obama's nuts."  Keyes explains that the major news organizations struggled with how to report this, using euphemisms such as Jackson wanted to do something to his sensitive areas.  (It escapes the Broads why they couldn't just say Jackson wanted to castrate him.) Euphemania

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh