Skip to main content

Loose Lips Sink Ships-Katrina LaCroix

Now That's a Brazen Broad..........


Avery Leigh's life is in turmoil after her boyfriend, Carter, breaks up with her, and she determines that by hook or by crook, he will be hers again.  And so begins LaCroix's dark comedic glimpse into the life of a dysfunctional teen aged girl.

From the first, LaCroix writes with unabashed black humor.  Her main character, Avery, is pure malevolence, dealing friends and foes alike her brutal tactics to achieve her goals.  The character works, however, as LaCroix writes a hilarious version of the truly unrepentant bitch.  Avery becomes laugh-out-loud likable throughout the story as the reader discovers the bizarre home environment she must deal with and its effects on her young life.  LaCroix also scores a win - in that Avery, while ultimately remaining a true brazen broad, does grow (just a bit) over the course of her hysterical adventures with her minions....ahem, I mean friends.

Katrina LaCroix's story will not appeal to everyone (maybe not even to most), and this Broad struggles to place it in one genre.  It is assuredly comical, daringly dark, and would probably be best suited in the hands of well grounded women not afraid to laugh at what would happen if the "inner-bitch" were ever loosed upon the world......as long as it never actually happens.  Even though the characters are teens, this book is most certainly NOT for young adult readers.  Likewise, those desiring a tale of redemption, or good triumphing over evil will most likely find Loose Lips Sink Ships a disappointment. Contrarily, Broads who enjoy a chuckle at the (very) dark side of humor will find Loose Lips Sink Ships absolutely brazen.

star
star
 ~Moira

Deliciously Dark

Katrina LaCroix's Loose Lips Sink Ships is a story of characters.  Not tremendously plot driven, the main character of Avery Leigh drives the story to often wild places.  I can't remember any other book that included a scene with a female character chasing down her ex-boyfriend to a cheap hotel and rummaging through a hotel room's bathroom garbage to determine if he had been there.  Avery's singlemindedness in getting her boyfriend Carter back is the central idea of the story.  The other subplots involving the rest of the characters all lead back to Avery's story, but add further dimensions of crazy to the world these characters live in.  But make no mistake:  this is the story of one determined teenage girl. 

I enjoyed Loose Lips Sink Ships tremendously in parts.  The scene with Avery tracking down Carter to his job at the pizza place and her interaction with the teenage boy behind the counter is so funny I had to stop reading because the tears were making it impossible to see.  That the ending is significantly less dark than the rest of the story is my only complaint. 

But where does the story reside in the various genres of literature?  Moira and I agree on this that we don't know.  It's definitely humorous, but it may bleed over into chick lit, possibly.  I can say with certainty that this isn't romance, horror, steampunk, thriller, or mystery.  And it's definitely not YA.  This book wouldn't be appropriate for teenagers. 

In the end, Loose Lips Sink Ships is a funny romp through the teenage world of Avery Leigh and the people who suffer through her determination to reunite with her boyfriend.  Over-the-top, often bizarre, but in many parts funny as all hell, the story is worth reading. 






-Alexandria






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

Euphemania-Ralph Keyes: Review and Giveaway

A Book About Why We Speak As We Do We tend to read a lot of fiction here at the Brazen Broads Book Bash, so it's always nice to get our hands on some good nonfiction books almost as a way to cleanse our palettes sometimes.  Ralph Keyes book, Euphemania ,  is the perfect mix of informative yet interesting.  In it, he shares the reasons why we use euphemisms so often in our daily speech.  The main idea behind the book is that euphemisms are used to make the uncomfortable more comfortable.  Therefore, they're very common in discussions about sex.  One anecdote offered in the book refers to Jesse Jackson's threat during the 2008 election in which he stated he wanted to "cut off Barack Obama's nuts."  Keyes explains that the major news organizations struggled with how to report this, using euphemisms such as Jackson wanted to do something to his sensitive areas.  (It escapes the Broads why they couldn't just say Jackson wanted to castrate him.) Euphemania

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh