Skip to main content

Brazen Review ~ Tea With Friends, Elizabeth Knight

Front Cover'Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you.  Now tell me about hundreds of things.' ~ Saki

Taking Tea -
All tea - Black, Green, Oolong, or blended, which includes more than 3,000 varieties comes from an evergreen bush, Camellia sinensis.  Tea ranks as the world's second most popular beverage; water clinched the number one spot.  High in some vitamins and minerals, tea boasts a number of health benefits to those who consume more than two cups daily.  Popular herbal teas, made with herbs, flowers, roots, berries, bark, or leaves from any plant other than Camellia sinensis are not really tea.  These brewed beverages are actually called infusions or tisanes.  Who knew?  This Broad learned something (a lot of somethings) new!

Knight organizes this charming book neatly.  An opening, Taking Tea, explains the who, what, where, why and how of the domestic ritual.  Then the author devotes a section to each of the twelve months of the year, suggesting tea party ideas and sprinkling in lovely quotes and interesting tidbits about drinking tea, including practices from tea drinking countries around the world. 

After reading Knight's delightful book, this Broad has become infatuated with the idea of hosting a Tea.  Even though the day honoring St. Patrick is gone for this year, I think I'll start with March's offering, St. Patrick's Day Ceili Tea!

'In the lilt of Irish laughter you can hear the angels sing!' - Chauncey Olcott and George Graff, 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling'.

The invitation should read - 'In honor of St. Patrick's Day, join me for a cup of Tay!  Please prepare to toast the auld sod with an Irish story, song, or poem.'

Tea With Friends was a pleasure to read, and the illustrations were colorful and whimsical.  I'll recommend this book to anyone curious about or already besotted with all things tea. 

Overall Rating - ♣♣♣♣♣

 - Moíra ♣


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

Euphemania-Ralph Keyes: Review and Giveaway

A Book About Why We Speak As We Do We tend to read a lot of fiction here at the Brazen Broads Book Bash, so it's always nice to get our hands on some good nonfiction books almost as a way to cleanse our palettes sometimes.  Ralph Keyes book, Euphemania ,  is the perfect mix of informative yet interesting.  In it, he shares the reasons why we use euphemisms so often in our daily speech.  The main idea behind the book is that euphemisms are used to make the uncomfortable more comfortable.  Therefore, they're very common in discussions about sex.  One anecdote offered in the book refers to Jesse Jackson's threat during the 2008 election in which he stated he wanted to "cut off Barack Obama's nuts."  Keyes explains that the major news organizations struggled with how to report this, using euphemisms such as Jackson wanted to do something to his sensitive areas.  (It escapes the Broads why they couldn't just say Jackson wanted to castrate him.) Euphemania

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh