Skip to main content

Her Dark Baron, Nadja Notariani

Her Dark Baron      
Baron mind, he keeps it manly!  Get it, "baron mind"!  Ha!  Okay, okay, I'm done.

    But seriously, this novella is the second offering by new writer, Nadja Notariani.  And I would like to say for the record, I want one.  I am officially placing my order for a dark baron of my own.  If he is anything like Gervase Daltrey, I will be an immensely satisfied lady. Immensely.

    Gervase Daltrey, Baron of Ayleshind is our dark, brooding hero.  Because of some incidents in his past, and his secret work for the crown, he has earned the moniker "Hound of Hell".   He manages, in the nick of time, to rescue and wed Lady Mariel Hayes.  Saved from the clutches of the nasty Baron Flanders, Mariel wonders if she has really been saved at all.  She has heard the rumors of her new husband, and they aren't nice.  She also has to deal with her brother-in-law Edward and his worrying wife, Elizabeth.  Soon, a series of accidents begin to plague our lovely Mariel, and that sets our Baron in a race to find the who and why before it's too late. 

    As main characters go, I like Mariel.  She stays true, as do they all.  She is a quiet and good-natured woman.    There are no abrupt personality changes to deal with, thank heavens!  She isn't a simpering miss one minute, and a woman of steel the next.  She comes to love her Baron because of who, and how, he is with her - despite the rumors and sights to the contrary.  

    Gervase, is my kind of man.  I'm always drawn to the dark and brooding hero, and Daltrey manages to be both without coming off as either a pompous ass or a complete bully.  Neither of which are attractive.  He manages to let his care, and eventually love, for Mariel show in small ways that don't take away from his masculinity.
Ah, refreshing.

    Blessedly, Notariani is a writer who doesn't turn her men into simpering misses and her misses into manly men.  I know many of you ladies are with me when I say, leave that man alone!!  Don't turn him into a drooling "yes man" simply because he had an epiphany of love.  It would be like buying the Doberman you've always wanted, then waking up one day to find that said Doberman has turned into a Shih Tzu* simply because he decided you were the bestest Mommy on the planet.  Can you say refund?  I do.

    I have become a fan of Nadja's writing and characters and I hope to see more from her again soon.  Perhaps even some sort of sequel to this novella?  We shall see.
    
~ Mina ~
 
   * For the record, Shih Tzus are perfectly lovely little dogs, and no dogs were harmed in the writing of this post. 
    
 

Comments

  1. I loved this book! It was such an entertaining read and the characters were just what they should be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Broads love comments! Thanks for stopping by.....

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

Euphemania-Ralph Keyes: Review and Giveaway

A Book About Why We Speak As We Do We tend to read a lot of fiction here at the Brazen Broads Book Bash, so it's always nice to get our hands on some good nonfiction books almost as a way to cleanse our palettes sometimes.  Ralph Keyes book, Euphemania ,  is the perfect mix of informative yet interesting.  In it, he shares the reasons why we use euphemisms so often in our daily speech.  The main idea behind the book is that euphemisms are used to make the uncomfortable more comfortable.  Therefore, they're very common in discussions about sex.  One anecdote offered in the book refers to Jesse Jackson's threat during the 2008 election in which he stated he wanted to "cut off Barack Obama's nuts."  Keyes explains that the major news organizations struggled with how to report this, using euphemisms such as Jackson wanted to do something to his sensitive areas.  (It escapes the Broads why they couldn't just say Jackson wanted to castrate him.) Euphemania

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh