Skip to main content

Zipporah, Wife of Moses-Marek Halter

Behind Every Great Man.......
Marek Halter takes the little information found in Deuteronomy about Zipporah and creates a wonderful novel which is not difficult to read, but is, in fact, well written.  Halter tells the story from Zipporah's perspective, showing the Biblical events that lead to the Exodus in a new light.  Wholly fictional, none should balk at the "liberties" taken by the author, in his re-creation of those time honored events.  Having Zipporah be different from those around her worked well in the story, as it gave Moses a common experience with her.  This broad certainly appreciated the strength and dignity Halter wrote into Zipporah.  She was wise, faithful, humble, modest, and full of love, which are qualities to love in a heroine.  That Zipporah was a real woman caught up in the other-worldly events unfolding around her family only furthered my appreciation of Halter's willingness to develop her character and story.  Also, quite interesting was Halter's interpretation of the supporting characters.  Jethro truly was a wise old sage, yet Halter added a mischievous hint, which made him more lovable.  Sefoba and Orma, Zipporah's sisters, were opposite ends on the spectrum, with Sefoba loving and kind, and Orma selfish and cruel.  Most surprising (although it shouldn't be from reading Deuteronomy...) were Aaron and Miriam, Moses' brother and sister.  While holding Moses up as Yahweh's chosen, they simultaneously use, then disobey and devour the man.  While claiming Yahweh as their righteous and just God, they perpetuate hate, prejudice, and injustice.  Together, these characters set the backdrop for Zipporah as she strives to help her husband, Moses, sort through his separate pasts as an Egyptian prince, a Hebrew slave, and a foreign shepherd in Midian to embrace his destiny as the Deliverer of Yaweh.

Recommendation:  ****_ 
(which is 4 out of 5 stars)

Zipporah, Wife of Moses, is the second book in the Canaan Trilogy by Halter.  The first is called, Sarah, and the third, Lilah.  I will definately check them out and offer reviews in the future.
~Moira

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ahh, vacation...

     Well, I did it.  I survived my first family vacation.  I'm pretty sure I have a little less hair and an eye tic, but dammit, I'm  alive!!        Yes, we have taken little vacations in the past.  My grandparents had a cottage on a lake about 2 hours from here and we'd go for long weekends, but this was different.  This was the 9 hour drive-stay in a hotel kind of vacation.   Everyone better thank their lucky stars it was on the beach, too.  No shoes makes Mommy a happy girl.        While I was somewhat mollified by the "Yay! No Shoes!" thing, the planning and keeping in-line of the entire family and their things was slightly less enjoyable than stepping on legos in your bare feet...in the dark....while sick. Yeah, for me, it's like that.            As my dearest sister Moira can attest, I am not up for any organizational aw...

A Round Of Words In 80 Days...We're Game!

Here's A Group For Writers Of All Varieties... Click the link to find out what creator Kait Nolan has to say about her wildly popular and growing writing challenge that knows you have a life! What Is  ROW80 ? In short, it's a place to set flexible writing related goals in which you can glean encouragement from fellow writers/bloggers/reviewers and benefit from accountability.  (Complete instructions/rules/guidelines below) Here's what Mina and I would like to accomplish during Round 4: *  We will check in at least once a week, offering a post that deals with some aspect of writing.  It may be a writer we'd like to showcase, a poem we've found or written ourselves, or our own quirky commentary on some shiny bauble/idea/thought/fashion/recipe/book/author that's caught our eye or attention.  *  Both Moira and Mina will visit around and visit at least 5 blogs per week - that's 10 in all.  We may complete this for each check-in...but w...

Tuesday Teaser ~

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading . Here's how it works.. Grab your current read Open to a random page Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure what you share does not give too much away! You don't want to ruin the book for others!) Share the title & author too so other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! Hi, All!  I've been absent the last two weeks, catching up on my reading.  Now I've got a new teaser to share.   Mina reviewed one of Katie MacAlister's books awhile back, and that review left me eager to search out this author.  When I saw this title, I had to give it a try.  One hilarious escapade after another, Men In Kilts is sure to elicit a giggle even from the staunchest of readers.  If you like humor sprinkled throughout your romance once in awhile, this is ...