Skip to main content

Reagan's War-Peter Schweizer

Reagan's War:  The Epic Story of his Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism  by Peter Schweizer

Schweizer wrote, "The 'one big thing' Reagan knew was the power and value of human freedom, which proved to be the defining principle of his worldview."

Many Americans know little about our 40th president, Ronald Reagan, and his life's work, a war against communism.  Reagan has been portrayed by some as an "absentee" president or an "empty headed dolt", however after reading Schweizer's book, I cannot agree.  In fact, the man may well have been a genius, at least concerning his views and strategies in combating the spread of communism and ending the Cold War.

Schweizer explains that to understand Reagan, you must understand his battle against communism.  This most important struggle at first left his life in ruins, ending his marriage to Jane Wyman and straining his relationship with his children.  It also led him to Nancy, whom he loved dearly, and of course, to the Presidency of the United States of America where his policies directly led to the downfall of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War.  While some may attempt to disagree, the secret records now released and quoted in Schweizer's book, including sources from the U.S.A., Germany, Poland, Hungary, Russia, and even the K.G.B.'s file on Ronald Reagan leave little, if any, room for dissension on this point.

Far from dry or dull, this true, yet fascinating tale will hold readers on the edge of their seats.  Death threats and assassination attempts plagued him because of his work.  Calculated military directives ordered by Reagan changed the course of the Cold War.  Brutal honesty on his part convinced the K.G.B. that he was a man "who saw word and deed as one", and they respectfully feared him, as he would not, and could not be persuaded to compromise his principles, nor would he be deterred from his course of action.  In the world of politics, he was the rare exception to the rule.   Ronald Reagan was a man of bold word and deed, and his story is possibly the best of any political figure I've studied in modern times.  Well written and quite revealing, Reagan's War should be required reading for all American high-schoolers, for they will never glimpse even half the man Reagan was if the only exposure they get is from boring textbook snippets.

Recommendation:  Read it, and be amazed to find out just how much you didn't know about Ronald Reagan.
~Moira

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

Euphemania-Ralph Keyes: Review and Giveaway

A Book About Why We Speak As We Do We tend to read a lot of fiction here at the Brazen Broads Book Bash, so it's always nice to get our hands on some good nonfiction books almost as a way to cleanse our palettes sometimes.  Ralph Keyes book, Euphemania ,  is the perfect mix of informative yet interesting.  In it, he shares the reasons why we use euphemisms so often in our daily speech.  The main idea behind the book is that euphemisms are used to make the uncomfortable more comfortable.  Therefore, they're very common in discussions about sex.  One anecdote offered in the book refers to Jesse Jackson's threat during the 2008 election in which he stated he wanted to "cut off Barack Obama's nuts."  Keyes explains that the major news organizations struggled with how to report this, using euphemisms such as Jackson wanted to do something to his sensitive areas.  (It escapes the Broads why they couldn't just say Jackson wanted to castrate him.) Euphemania

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh