Skip to main content

Devil To Pay, Maria Zannini

A Short Novella - Great For A Quick, Steamy Romp - Short On Depth.

The Devil To Pay (Second Chances)Devil To Pay is the first novella in the Second chances series by author Maria Zannini. 

Shannon McKee is down on her luck.  Wiped out financially by a man she loved and facing bankruptcy with her antique shop because of the betrayal, Shannon prays for a way out.  Unfortunately for her, both heaven and hell determine to grant her hasty request, each sending a harvester angel to collect her soul.

When Shannon falls hard under their charms, sparks fly, and the rival angels, Liam and Michael, find themselves inexplicably unable to hand Shannon over to either realm, instead becoming fugitives and vying to win Shannon's heart.

Liam sacrifices himself, enabling Michael time to save Shannon, and both he and Shannon must make choices that will have eternal consequences.  For Shannon, the cost is dear.  To save Liam, whom she loves, she must bond her soul in eternal servitude to his rival - and brother - Michael.

Zannini writes a steamy, erotic world of seductive angels, sultry sprites, and a woman caught between two otherworldly lovers, earning a high heat rating from this Broad.  However, this is not a romance.  The sex is hot, but not emotional for the most part.  I would have liked to see more of why Shannon fell in love with Liam, and not simply the lust between them. 

I enjoyed the set up for Zannini's insertion of angles into the storyline, thinking her premise brilliant.  I was somewhat disappointed, though, that the author never fully explains why Shannon's desperate cry for help makes for such devastating consequences.  (In Zannini's defense, a second novella in the series, titled Chain of Souls, is now out and may answer my questions when I read it)

Devil To Pay is easily read in a few nights leisure reading before bed or over an afternoon cup of tea - or two, and any who enjoy a lusty romp between the pages should give this novella a read.  Not overly involved, Devil To Pay is great reading for an easily digested and quick escape.

Overall story - 3/5 stars
Characters - 3/5 stars
World Building - 4/5 stars
Romance Heat - 1/5 stars
Erotica heat - 4/5

* * * Moira * * *

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

Euphemania-Ralph Keyes: Review and Giveaway

A Book About Why We Speak As We Do We tend to read a lot of fiction here at the Brazen Broads Book Bash, so it's always nice to get our hands on some good nonfiction books almost as a way to cleanse our palettes sometimes.  Ralph Keyes book, Euphemania ,  is the perfect mix of informative yet interesting.  In it, he shares the reasons why we use euphemisms so often in our daily speech.  The main idea behind the book is that euphemisms are used to make the uncomfortable more comfortable.  Therefore, they're very common in discussions about sex.  One anecdote offered in the book refers to Jesse Jackson's threat during the 2008 election in which he stated he wanted to "cut off Barack Obama's nuts."  Keyes explains that the major news organizations struggled with how to report this, using euphemisms such as Jackson wanted to do something to his sensitive areas.  (It escapes the Broads why they couldn't just say Jackson wanted to castrate him.) Euphemania

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh