The Brazen Broads ~ Grab Our Button!

The Brazen Broads Button

21 March 2011

Barefoot In Paris: Easy French Food You Can Make At Home, Ina Garten

I love French cuisine, and Ina Garten's 'Barefoot Contessa' is one of my favorite shows on Food Network.  I came across this cookbook while browsing the food section of my local library.

Cooking is one of my hobbies.  I love to make new dishes, and at 238 pages, Barefoot In Paris seemed a manageable guide to take on French food.  The cookbook is loaded with colorful photos, showcasing everything from finished dishes in great presentations to recommended kitchen equipment.  I enjoyed the stories throughout the text explaining where the recipe originated from and how Contessa has changed them.  A section on table setting was very helpful for using flowers, carrying a theme, and creating a relaxing atmosphere. 

Many of Ina's favorite dishes are very easy to prepare and use only a few ingredients.  In my mind, French cooking always loomed ahead as the ACME of ability (that I was absolutely NOT ready for), but after working through a number of the featured recipes, my confidence has grown by bounds.  Zucchini Gratin, Tomato Rice Pilaf, and Creme Anglaise are some of the dishes I've successfully made.  I attempted Boef Bourguignon, which was good, but honestly, this Broad thought it was not better than a pot roast slow cooked in my dutch over (and which only takes 10 minutes to throw on - and an occasional stir). 

There are a number of recipes I intend to test before returning it to the library.  Moroccan Couscous, Vegetable Tian, Elephant Ears, and a French Toast dessert make the list, as do Brioche bread, sauteed scallops, and a roasted lamb dish that makes my mouth water from looking at the picture. 

Barefoot In Paris is wonderfully done, and I would recommend it as a good choice for an introduction to French food and cooking.
~Moira
starstarstar

2 comments:

  1. I love Ina Garten. Thank you for this book review. I will be going out to get it very soon. I can't wait to make her Boef Bourguignon...I watched her prepare it on her show 'Barefoot COntessa' But I do love my Pot Roast slow cooked in my dutch oven also!!!!
    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking too. I've heard great things about Ina Garten. Was the food pretty butter heavy?

    ReplyDelete

We Broads love comments! Thanks for stopping by.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...