Skip to main content

November Top 5: What We're Thankful For This Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving, we Broads went traditional on you and did a Top 5 things/people we give thanks for.  Some are to be expected since we're both mothers, but others may seem a bit off the wall.  We wanted to list things we truly enjoy, so those things that may seem minute or inconsequential to others but bring us some measure of pleasure are here too. From both the Broads, we wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Alexandria/Moira

1.  Family/Family
2.  Friends/Friends
3.  Writers/Books
4.  David Gilmour's music/Cooking and enjoying food
5.  Nir Lavi/Mixed Martial Arts


#1 You Can't Pick Your Family, But We Would Have Anyway


Alexandria:
  I'm fortunate to be the mother of two wonderful children, a 21 year old daughter and a 14 year old son.  They both bring me incredible joy.  My daughter and I are the best of friends, and no one can make me laugh like she does.  She's funny, witty, and sharp as a tack, all things that make her one of the best people I've ever had the good fortune to meet.  My son is a typical teenage boy, all piss and vinegar sometimes, but he's one of the smartest people I've ever met and a talented musician who stuns me with his ability.  To my people, I say thank you for some of the best times of my life. 

Moira:  I'm thankful for my family.  My parents are always supportive, I'm blessed with five great children, and my husband has made it possible for me to stay at home and enjoy every day I have with them.  Our two oldest girls are now grown and on their own.  I'll always be their mom, but it's great to now be friends too.  Our three boys are still at home-and there's never a dull day with them.  From schoolwork to sporting events to supper, we have a great time.  I also have four sisters and four brothers, and we all add something different to the family. We wouldn't be the same without one another. I'm lucky to have them all.


#2:  You Gotta Have Friends


Alexandria:
  I can't imagine what my life would be like without my friends.  It certainly would be far duller.  I've been friends with Jeannie since 1973!  We've been friends for so long people think we're sisters because we act so close.  Jeannie is my tie to a time that was sweet, innocent, and wonderful.  We've been through a lot, but we always have a good time.  Moira and I have been friends since we met through our sons playing baseball all the way back when they were in 2nd grade (they're in 9th grade now).  To Moira I say thanks for being my cohort in crime here at the Broads and for reading my writing.  Marissa and I enjoy talking about being moms and our work, which can turn into a bitchfest, but we can't help it:  we're passionate people who still tilt at windmills.  So to you, Marissa, I say thanks for being a fellow Don Quixote. And to Yvonne, who is definitely the smartest person I've ever had the pleasure of knowing, I thank you for being so smart and so funny too. 

Moira:  I'm blessed with great friends. Girls, thanks for everything.  I have a few close friends, and in each relationship I share something I'm passionate about. My best friends is my sister.  There is nothing we don't share. She knows every triumph, hope, fear, and secret.  Alexandria and I share our love of books and writing.  We are both educators and are passionate about learning.  My friend Chris and I enjoy going to wrestling tournaments.  Our sons participate in the sport, and frankly, we'd probably keep going even if they didn't.  We also think our husbands may be related, as they behave much too similarly.  Tammy and I read and discuss our shared faith.


#3  This Is A Book Blog...

Alexandria: 
I am thankful for writers and their words.  Somewhere along the way, I morphed from just a reader to a writer.  I find great joy and pleasure in writing, and I attribute that to the writers I've experienced through my life.  From the classics I studied in college, to the works I read for teaching, to the books I read for the Brazen Broads Book Bash, they've all affected me.  And now that I call myself a writer, I not only see what goes into their craft but the happiness that writing brings me.  So to the writers who fill my bookshelves and the characters I write, I express my heartfelt thanks. 

Moira:  Books!  Long ones, short ones, funny ones, and steamy ones-I love them all.  Getting lost in a great story is one of the best ways to spend a day!  Proctish eine perfecta tag!


#4  These Bring Us Other Joys


Alexandria:
  For this one, I'm thankful for music in general, but David Gilmour in particular.  I've liked Gilmour's music for years, but as I get older I find myself enjoying it more and more, whether it's his solo work or his work in Pink Floyd.  Unlike when I was young and listened to it while doing illegal things ;), these days I find his music wonderfully written.  It's rather idiosyncratic, but David Gilmour's music is something I'm thankful for all the time.

Moira:  Some people eat to live; others live to eat.  You can probably guess which category I fall into.  I love to shop for food, prepare it, and eat it.  I also like to feed friends and family.  Sitting around the table with family, food, and a good bottle of wine...delish!


#5:  Now It Comes Out That We're Shallow Broads...


Alexandria: 
Nir Lavi.  See him?  He makes me happy.  You know why?  Look at him!  That's why.  No need to discuss this further.  If you believe in God, then thank him or her for Nir Lavi.  If you don't, then thank the magical world of genetics that produces such loveliness. (For a less clothed version of him, go here)

Moira:  Mixed Martial Arts!  George St. Pierre, Mirko Cro Cop, Martin Kampmann, Dennis Siver, Shogun Rua...I'm a thankful Broad.

Comments

  1. I give that interview 5 stars. What am I grateful for? The Brazen Broads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too nice, Sue! Was that an award I saw you get yesterday? Congrats!

    Alexandria

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We Broads love comments! Thanks for stopping by.....

Popular posts from this blog

Broads On A Budget: Fresh, Healthy, and Within The Budget!

Lately, I've seen a few news segments citing the higher cost in buying fresh produce and healthy foods compared with processed, prepared, packaged, but far from healthy products.  This caught my attention.  Eating for health is... well, sort of my goal.  I want my family (and myself!) to be healthy, but what I want most is to enjoy my food while feeling great about it's health and nutrition benefits. We can watch every cooking show on the cable channels, read each new cooking magazine with eager determination, and lose an hour (or two!) on Pinterest boards, but if we can't afford the grocery bill to create all those wonderful meals - it's all a wash.  So...is it possible to prepare healthy meals with fresh ingredients AND stick to a budget?  Broads everywhere know the answer is YOUUUU BETCHA! One issue I struggled with was meal-plan-cohesiveness.  In other words, creating my weekly meal plan around my fresh ingredients on hand to avoid waste.  (Who else has cring

IT will probably kill me...

    First of all, let me state that I love my husband.  Let it also be known that this fact may not save him from becoming a new "compost heap" in my back yard.  Maybe I'll plant a few shrubs on top, that would look nice.  Ooh, a nice gazebo covered in climbing roses and maybe a swing with....what?  Oh.           I have tried to come to terms with something that sends me into a state of near panic at the mere mention of the word.  Retirement.  There... I said it and didn't swoon.  I have heard the stories from married ladies with retired husbands, and with, first my father's and now my husband's lay-offs, I have experienced brief glimpses into this world.  So, I have learned some things .     The main thing, really, is that I would like to opt out but cannot, in good conscience, do that.   He can't work forever.    Right?  My dearest other half is only 40, so this retirement isn't happening anytime soon, but still.   He works as a carpenter, wh

Uhh....Seriously, we're waiting!!

      I know, I know.  You've probably been wondering where we have been.  Well, truth be told, your guess is as good as mine!   Wandering around the corridors of reality and looking--in earnest--for the emergency exit.  Real life has a way of derailing our engines and putting them on a completely different track.               During the spring, my kids happened.  From sports to plays, the driving is endless.  During the summer, my kids--again--happened.  Though, in Hartford, Hereford and Hampshire hurricanes hardly ever happen.  (Sorry about that, I had a moment.)  In the fall....do we see the pattern here?  Good.  So, between the kids' activities and school, hubby's work, my work, still remodeling the house, and my newest occupation as college student, I have very little room on my plate for cookies.  But damn-it, I like cookies.  I would love to roll naked in cookies!  Only metaphorically, I have no wish to explain those crumbs at the next gynie visit.  That, ladie